Friday, March 6, 2009

The Grand Canyon


and then we reached the grand canyon... which i know is one of the seven wonders... and is supposed to be absolutely magnificent... and overwhelming. All of which it absolutely was... but it also was somewhat dissapointing. I think for myself the size was so massive that it was too hard for my brain to comprehend. I am reading an Annie Dilliard book right now, "For the Time Being", in which she discusses the irony of how when one person dies it is a tragedy, and when 1,000 people die it becomes a statistic. How our brains and bodies can comprehend a certain amount of empathy, apathy, emotion... but once it gets to a certain point... we can do nothing but objectify it. That is how i felt about the grand canyon.... i could recognize the fact that it was beautiful... that i should be moved by it. But at the same time, i was not moved. The canyons in New Mexico spoke much more to my soul. The Grand Canyon felt objectified. It cost 25 bucks to get in an see those views... and once you got in there were paved paths everywhere you went. I am sure I would have felt much differently if I could have hiked down ( there was too much snow when we were there). But i am very glad that i got to see it. And it made for some great photo ops :)






















1 comment:

  1. hi anna...Gabriela, micah and I are just looking at your pictures for a geography lesson:) everyone says hi...beautiful pictures..love you, me

    ReplyDelete